Zion Ultras Event Cancelled
100 mile / 100K / 50K / Trail Half Marathon
April 18-19, 2020
Due to escalating conditions surrounding the COVID-19 outbreak, the 2020 Zion Ultras is officially cancelled. We know this is disappointing. We’re disappointed, too. If it were up to me alone, I would hold the race as long as the permitting agencies allowed. However, for now, we feel like it is the responsible thing to do.
We’ve worked out a plan to make sure you have some reasonable options. While we know your first choice is for us not to cancel, unfortunately that is no longer possible. You will need to make a decision before the end of March.
You have four options to choose from:
- Run the race virtually & get credit toward a future race - We’ll ship your race shirt and bib and set up a reporting system. You’ll have a two-week window to finish your race (from April 11th to April 26th), which you can run anywhere, including the original course if you wish. Once you’ve reported your time, we’ll ship your finisher award. In addition, we will also give you a race credit to any of our future events. The amount of the credit will vary depending on your distance:
• Half Marathon - $50 credit
• 50K - $75 credit
• 100K - $100 credit
• 100M - $125 credit
In essence, if you choose this option, you'll receive a coupon that can be used anytime for any of our races in the next two years.
- Defer your entry & get a $50 bonus credit - This means all the money you paid for race registration at Zion will be issued back to you as a race credit coupon code towards a future event. As a bonus, we also give you $50 extra race credit to any of our future events as well.
- Request a 50% refund - If the first two options don’t appeal to you, we can offer you a 50% refund of your registration. Refunds will be processed during the first full week of April.
- You can keep my registration fee - You understand that events are expensive, even when cancelled, and you want us to keep your registration fees to help cover our costs. We deeply appreciate your generosity and look forward to seeing you at an event soon! Once it’s safe to do so, we will give you the highest of fives.
*Update (4/2/20): The deadline to make your decision was by the end of March. If you missed this opportunity, please email customer service at: email@example.com
As an event company, we try and think through possible problems that could get in our way so we can manage around them. This one caught us by surprise a little. We appreciate your patience and understanding right now. If you have any questions, please reach out to us. We’re answering inquiries as quickly as we can and are working hard to respond as fast as we can, but understand we may take a little longer than normal to respond to you.
Event Director, Zion Ultras
- General Notes Regarding all Vacation Races Events
What does this mean for me? With things continuing to change daily, we are taking each race on a case-by-case basis until the pandemic is resolved. We've had the need to cancel the following events: the 2020 Zion Ultras, Yosemite Half Marathon, Grand Teton Half & 5K, Yellowstone Half & 5K, and the Glacier Half Marathon.
We figure most people have a 30-day window to receive full or partial refunds on lodging and other travel expenses. Because of this, we will make our official decision to hold or cancel each race on the corresponding dates below, roughly 35 days before the event. All registered runners will receive communications outlining their options at that time. Until then, assume the race is on unless you’ve heard differently from us.
For all events after the Glacier Half Marathon, it’s simply too early to say. However, right now we plan to make our final decision ~35 days before each race.
What does this mean for the 2021 race season? We will be opening registration for our 2021 race season just as we do every year. While we are doing our part to follow health and safety recommendations and contain the spread of COVID-19, our plan is still to bet against the apocalypse. We expect to still be here in 2021. We plan to make some adjustments in the short term, but are looking forward to a return to normalcy as soon as possible. We have extended some of our price jumps, and will continue to adjust those and communicate to you as needed.