2019 Zion Half Marathon: Important Shuttle Update
Ready or not, the Zion Half is in just one week! We're excited to see you all in Zion. Over the next few days I will be sending out several emails with important reminders.
TOWN SHUTTLE UPDATE
Following the shutdown, we were informed that Zion NP will no longer be operating their town shuttles as we previously communicated. Our recommendation to spectators and runners was to take the shuttles around town to avoid congestion at the start line.
To recap: If a spectator is staying in town they should walk to a shuttle stop and ride the shuttle to the finish line. If a spectator parks anywhere in town at a paid parking space that is not in walking distance to the finish line they should do the same. Runners who rode the pre-race shuttle from Springdale should then ride the town shuttle back to the stop near their hotel.
THIS IS STILL THE PLAN, however since the town shuttles will not be running we have arranged to have our own shuttles transport runners and spectators around town. These will run from 7:45am to Noon. The main difference is that they will not adhere to any posted time schedule at the shuttle stops and they will not make all the stops. They will only make 4 stops in total: Majestic View Lodge, Quality Inn, Holiday Inn Express, and Zion Canyon Village (finish line). Please see the map below for an updated shuttle route.
Please be familiar with the parking and shuttles information on p. 6 of the race guide. A few important reminders:
- If you are staying in Springdale and want to ride the pre-race shuttle you must register for it in advance (an email went out weeks ago asking for signups). If you would still like to register you can do so at the expo on Friday. You will pick up a wristband at the expo as well. This shuttle is optional.
- Pre-race shuttles leave from Springdale at 5:00am sharp!
- The parking lot at the start line will open at 5:00am. All runners should plan to be parked by 6:00am! Please arrive early. If you are driving or getting dropped off be sure to account for traffic and give yourself plenty of time. Here are a few guidelines:
- From Springdale: give yourself 25-30 min
- From Hurricane: give yourself 20 min
- From St George: give yourself 45 min
- Shuttles will take runners back to the start line from the finish line after the race.
Please pass this information on to your cheer squad. They are welcome at the start line, but if they park there to watch you start your race they will need to stay parked until after all runners have started. Due to the traffic control on course we do not recommend stopping on course to cheer you on. They are welcome at the finish line. Parking at the finish line is limited, but there are paid parking spots all along the streets of Springdale, up Lion Blvd, and in a few paid lots around town. We recommend parking (and paying to park) in these spots in town, then either walking to the finish line or riding a shuttle at one of the shuttle pickup spots identified above. There are plenty of places in town and near the finish line to grab breakfast or coffee while they wait for you to finish.
More spectator, parking, and shuttle info (plus maps!) can be found in the race guide on p. 5, 6, and 10.
I know the weather is on everyone's mind. It is still a little too far out for me to completely trust the forecast. I will send a weather update next week as we get a little closer. I can tell you two things for certain: 1) it will be COLD race morning, and 2) the race will go on rain or shine.
Weather won't impact our race. If anything we may have to change our parking plan a bit but any changes will be communicated to you. Plan to dress warm at the start and use our gear check. We will have a warming tent, as well as complimentary hot chocolate and coffee. Come prepared!