Rotating Race Schedules, Extended Calendar, and New Race Logos! (Updated with Video)

2018 Race Logo Designs

We have some exciting announcements to share with you today.

Rotating Schedule & Extended Calendar

First, you may have read our announcement a few weeks ago that we won’t be holding certain events in 2018. Well, we’re excited to share the rest of the story with you. We have a fantastic collection of events and incredibly loyal runners. We’re so grateful that you choose to run with us.

Some runners like consistency and running their favorite events year after year. Others run each race once with a goal of running the whole series. Either way you do it is perfectly okay with us. What we’re finding (after being in this business going on 7 years!) is that some locations probably don’t merit having a race every single year. If you ran the Grand Canyon Half Marathon last year you might prefer to try the Lake Powell Half Marathon this year and maybe the Zion Half Marathon next year.

So, to support that, we’re moving some of our races to a rotating schedule. Some will take place one year, others will take place the next. We’ll still make Doubles and Triples available, but we will change up how those will work.

Because of the new rotating schedule, we are doing something else we’ve never done before. We are publishing our extended race calendar through 2020! We know that planning your race calendar can be tricky and we want to make it easier for you. This extended calendar provides a longer look into the future so you’ll have more info available to help with your planning.

Understand, that this overall calendar is subject to change, but this should help you better plan for the future.

New Logo/Medal Designs

We’re also really excited to announce that we’re going to begin rotating our medal designs! Beginning in 2018, if you run a half marathon that you have run before, you will get a totally new medal design. It’s a little reward for anyone that run the same race multiple times. Why should you go home with the same medal every year?! The designs will showcase different icons at each park, so you can collect all of them. Here’s a sneak peek at some of the designs.

Pre-2018 Race Logo Designs

Pre-2018 Race Logo Designs

2018 Race Logo Designs

2018 Race Logo Designs

2019 Race Dates

Finally, we have some of our early race dates for 2019 ready to go.

• The 2019 Zion Half Marathon will be moved to its new permanent home on the last Saturday of February. We will be back to running our original course (Virgin to Springdale on Highway 9). We will open registration on May 18th. Because of the park’s 100 birthday we think the race will sell out quickly.
  • The 2019 Antelope Canyon Ultras will be held March 9-10 in an effort to find slightly warmer temperatures. Registration will open May 25th for all 4 distances (100 mile, 50 mile, 55k and half marathon).

We will have the rest of the calendar published early this summer.

Thank you so much for running with us. We hope you’re as excited about the extended calendar and medal designs as we are.

UPDATE: We did a Facebook Live stream to address questions, comments, and concerns. Watch the video below for some additional information.

We look forward to seeing everyone at the races this season (and next season, and the one after that). :)

Ryan Jenkins

Ryan claims to be a "product in infinite beta". He loves hamburgers and peanut butter (but not together) and he should run more. He also really enjoys writing bios in the 3rd person.

• Keith says:

Love all of the changes. The new logo designs are awesome. Great job!

• Ryan Jenkins says:

Thanks Keith! :)

• Jill says:

I will be joining the Facebook Live event Friday! Here are two of my questions: Will you be adding any new parks to your schedule? Will Shenandoah be brought back into the mix?

• Ryan Jenkins says:

I don’t have any definitive answers on those. We’re always evaluating what locations we could add (including locations we’ve done before).

• "the LOCOmotive" says:

I have a 100M route mapped out from Cedar City, UT to Mesquite, NV (via hwy 56, 18, and old hwy 91). Perhaps a ‘badwater type’ Ultra could be done late july/early august. HINT HINT

• Sam Richardson says:

Will some of the old Ultras (Monument Valley and Tushars) come back?

• Salem+Stanley says:

Monument Valley permits were given to another organization by the Navajo Parks Dept.

We gave Tushars to Aravaipa. They are working to put the permits in their name and hope to put the race on in 2018.

We hope this calendar format may allow us to do Capitol Reef and Grand Canyon Ultras every once in a while as well.

• Eric Lewia says:

Tushars Ultras? Is it gone forever?

• Jared says:

I like the idea that you are changing the logos for repeat runners each year but for someone like me, that hasn’t been to all the races yet, will the old logos return? I’d like to get some of the original logos on some of them. Are you going to rotate them?

• Kathryn says:

I’m in the “Run the Whole Series” camp – we do 1-2 per year. I am disappointed some have been removed (Shenandoah) but as an associate race director myself, I understand logistics, costs, etc. One question I have (and fear) is in regards to the Doubles and Triples — These vacation races are my one vacation I’m able to take a year so it makes the most sense for me to do what’s offered in an area for racing in addition to my sightseeing. If the doubles/triples are on opposite years, I’m not likely to want to return to the same place two years in a row. I’d rather go somewhere new. Please take that into consideration as you figure things out. My hope is either keep them in the same year, remove the time factor or extend it to 5 years (or something). My first year with you guys was the Caldera Triple. It was a fantastic week!

• Ryan Jenkins says:

Thanks for your comment Kathryn. This is definitely something we’re aware of and sensitive to. We’ll likely do some combination of the things you mentioned above. For example, Teton/Yellowstone will likely both be held every 3rd year for people that want to do a back-to-back with some vacation time in between. Outside of that we’ll likely allow a window for completing both races within X years of each other.

Lastly, thanks SO MUCH for running with us. We know there are a lot of companies you could run with and we really appreciate you.

• Beth says:

Will there be any special medal designs for Park Centennials and Park Anniversary races?

• Kaelee Clifford says:

Hi Beth – All of the medal designs have changed this year, which we’re pretty excited about. The Centennial races will be commemorated on the medal in some way.

• Rhett says:

Thanks for all your hard work and for publishing the reasoning behind all the changes. It all makes sense to me. :)

We ran the Grand Teton race a couple of years ago and plan on hitting up more of your races in the future because of how well run it was. We fall right into your main philosophy of run a half marathon and then sightsee for a week, and we already have a few new places to visit picked out based on your race schedules. The “couple of years in advance” sneak peak schedule is really helpful!

• Maureen Brennan says:

So glad I signed up for the Yellowstone and Grand Teton races this year since this seems to be the last time they will be done on back-to-back weekends. The current schedule is allowing me to get 2 new states during my vacation.

• Andrew says:

I’m not too happy about all the changes to the logos. Having run four of your events I set a goal to get out and run all of the races to collect the awesome medals. But you keep changing the designs! The 2018 Great Smoky Mountain Half is much better than the 2019 design. The 2018 Glacier is much better than the 2019 as well. I don’t understand the need to change things up all the time and think I will probably abandon my goal of running all of your half marathons. You put on great events but the changes just aren’t winning me over.

• Ryan Jenkins says:

Hi Andrew, I’m sorry to hear you’re not a fan of the new designs. We’ve had the current designs since we opened the company and figured it was time to change things up a bit. I do believe the original designs will come back into rotation though so all is not lost. Hopefully that helps a bit.

• Tricia Cooper says:

Hello!
    What is the date for the 2019 Grand Canyon half?

When will registration for the Grand Canyon half open…

We loved the Grand Teton half in 2016!
    Well done!

Thank you for always paving new trails for us🏃🏻‍♀️

• Kaelee Clifford says:

Hi Tricia – The Grand Canyon Half will be held in October but we haven’t released the exact date yet, but it will most likely be either October 12th or 19th. Registration will open in the fall.

• brad says:

Do we know a race date for the Grand Canyon Half in 2019, yet? Like which Saturday?

• Kaelee Clifford says:

Hi Brad – Details for the 2019 race are still being nailed down but the date and registration announcement will be soon! Keep an eye on our Facebook page, Grand Canyon Half Maratho, and/or sign up for update emails here:

• >