The 2018 Shenandoah Half Marathon is Cancelled

We’re extremely sad to announce that we are cancelling the 2018 Shenandoah Half Marathon. We love this park and were very happy with the inaugural race last year. Unfortunately there just doesn’t seem to be enough interest in this event to hold it annually. We opened registration with high hopes that everyone who had a great time in 2017 would be back and bring friends, but our numbers have shrunk from last year and we just haven’t been able to grow enough excitement around this race.

We put off this decision as long as we could, but we wanted to make the decision with enough time for people to adjust their travel plans. We’re very sorry for any disappointment this announcement may cause. If you were registered for this event, you will receive a refund in the next few days, if you haven’t already.

It is possible this race could come back in the future in some form, but we will not be able to hold the race in 2018 or 2019.

We are grateful to the towns of Luray and Stanley as well as Page County who were incredibly helpful in putting the race on last year. We really hope to be back in the future, but for now we will have to focus on other parks.

If you have any questions or concerns about the cancellation, please comment below or email us at

Will I get my money back?

Absolutely. If you’re registered for the 2018 Shenandoah Half, Bobcat Double, or Appalachian Triple, you’ll see a refund hitting your bank account in the next 48 hours (if you haven’t already) for the Shenandoah portion of your registration.

Will this event come back in the future?

It’s very possible. 2017’s event went well and we got lots of positive feedback (despite rainy conditions). We’re not writing it off completely, we just don’t think there’s enough demand to hold it annually.

Are any other races being cancelled?

No. There is no threat of cancelling any other event in the 2018 calendar.

Ryan Jenkins

Ryan claims to be a "product in infinite beta". He loves hamburgers and peanut butter (but not together) and he should run more. He also really enjoys writing bios in the 3rd person.

• Kathleen says:

I’m extremely disappointed that are cancelling this race. It was supposed to be my first half marathon experience and I already booked my hotel which is non refundable.

• Salem Stanley says:

We are disappointed too. Hopefully you can find another race in the same time frame.

If you can let us know who your hotel is, we can reach out to see about getting you a refund. Most hotels will refund guests with enough notice. Please email me at and we’ll see what we can do.

• Jeremy says:

I am from Page County and I finished 10th overall in your Shenandoah half. I run a lot of races and for that area your cost for the race is to high. If you all lowered it, I would almost guarantee that people would sign up. I can count 8 people that I know that runs half marathon and they did not sign up for it due to your cost.

• Kelly says:

I had to defer last year, but had used my code to register for this year. Will I still be seeing a refund to the credit card I originally used? I’m so sad :-( I was looking forward to this year

Thank you!

• Kaelee Clifford says:

Hi Kelly – All deferred registrations will be refunded via check in the next couple days.

• Meagan Rinck says:

I signed up for the bobcat double, since that is not going to happen, how can i change my race to the black bear double?

• Ryan Jenkins says:

Thanks for your comment Meagan.

We’re in the process of transferring everyone to the next most appropriate event. In other words, if you were registered for the Appalachian Triple, we’ll move you to the Black Bear Double and refund the Shenandoah portion of your registration.

If you were registered for the Bobcat Double, we’ll transfer you to the Great Smoky Mountains Half Marathon and refund the Shenandoah portion.

If you want to do anything different than this, you can either log in and edit your registration manually (link: or reach out to us ( and we’ll help.

• Ken R Herman says:

This is such a disappointment. I just signed up last night. We had plans for the entire family including friends to make a trip of it. Anyone have any other east coast suggestions for scenic 1/2 marathons?

• Diane says:

Was there a reason you changed it from Labor Day weekend? For me, the three-day weekend made it a more attractive option.

• Michelle says:

Disappointed, as I was going to register this weekend for 2 entries.

• Jen Stanton says:

We are quite upset as well.
    We used 80,000 points plus 400.00 for the condo- all non refundable!! Cancelling it this far advance is absolutely ridiculous. I guess we won’t be doing the series.

• Ryan Jenkins says:

It’s disappointing indeed. Unfortunately registrations were nearly half of what they were at the same point last year, (and we lost money on last year’s race because so few people registered).

If the condo owner can’t work with you, hopefully you’ll still have a wonderful time exploring the beautiful Shenandoah area. It’s definitely a trip worth taking.

• Roxy says:

Pick a different weekend- not a busy high traffic weekend – that is the only reason I did not participate.

• Ralph Mitchell says:

I had to defer Shenandoah last year, and was just coming back to register for this year when I saw it was cancelled. What are my options at this time??

• Kaelee Clifford says:

Hi Ralph – We will be manually refunding all deferred registrations in the form of a check.

• Kaelee Clifford says:

Hi Ralph – All deferred registrations will be refunded via check. We are in the process of getting checks cut and mailed out in the next couple days.

• Adam says:

I’m willing to bet that the lack of interest came from moving the date from Labor day weekend. With Labor day weekend, the Great Smoky Mountain race a week later and then the Shenandoah the following week. Most people would not have that amount of time available to be away from work three weekends in a row. I myself was going to do just the Shenandoah Half because of time off work constraints. And I wanted to make the Shenandoah Half a yearly tradition since it was my first half marathon race.

Sad to hear this.

• Craig says:

I don’t think you gave this race enough time for people to sign up before you decided to cancel it. I was ready to sign up this weekend. It is only March and the race is not until September. Give it some time. I ran all nine of your races in 2016 and I was excited to try some new races this year.

• Kaelee Clifford says:

Hi Craig – I know it seems early, but we’ve seen very solid patterns and by the 1st price jump, we can make a pretty accurate prediction of total registration levels. And because of the nature of our particular races (remote locations, lots of travel required) we need to make a decision much further in advance before too many people have committed to hotels, airfare, car rentals, etc.

• Craig says:

I understand. I’m just bummed. ; ). Thanks, Kaelee.

• Don Loren says:

My refund email is $5 less than my receipt amount. Sad you canceled the run and will run RNR Savannah in its place.

• Kaelee Clifford says:

Hi Don – We’re taking a look at this. All fees were supposed to have been refunded. We’ll let you know what we find out.

• Amber says:

I just registered for this race a week ago and used a deferment code from a race last year that I was unable to attend due to being on military orders. Because I used a deferment code, I am only being refunded the difference ($23.39). How can I get my full refund including the amount covered by the deferment code?

• Kaelee Clifford says:

Hi Amber – We are not able to refund deferred registrations from the registration system, so we are refunding them via a check. This can take up to a month, but we’re working to get them out asap.

• Lisa Garcez says:

Kaelee, I am in the same situation. I deferred from last year and i also moved. Where will the check be sent?

• Kaelee Clifford says:

Hi Lisa – The check will be mailed to the address on your registration. If that has changed, email to get it changed.

• Amber says:

Thanks Kaelee! I’m sad to see that there wasn’t enough traction to get this race going. :(

• Amanda says:

I was looking forward to this race. This was going to be the first one I signed up for. It’s the closest one to me here in Maryland. I was getting ready to sign up, but it’s over 6 months away, so I thought I had time.

• Donna says:

Wow! I was just making a reservation for a cabin for race weekend. Checking the race site I see this…..very sad. I deferred from 2017 due to injury. Will I receive a full refund? I am so disappointed as this is my only planned race in September and I was really looking forward to running in that beautiful part of Virginia.

• Kaelee Clifford says:

Hi Donna – Deferred registrations will be refunded via check – they will be cut and mailed out asap.

• Lynn says:

The race is 7 months away! How can you cancel a race before folks even have a chance to register?

• Kaelee Clifford says:

Hi Lynn – We’ve seen very solid patterns and by the 1st price jump, we can make a pretty accurate prediction of total registration levels. And because of the nature of our particular races (remote locations, lots of travel required) we need to make a decision much further in advance before too many people have committed to hotels, airfare, car rentals, etc.

• Kim says:

It’s one that’s definitely on my bucket list to run. I love vacation races half marathons. I hope this one comes back.

• Brett says:

I was supposed to run this race last year but had to defer due to injury . Since I already had reservations and getting off from work is so difficult, went anyway and had a great time seeing the sights around Luray with my family. Disappointed that the race was not attracting the kind of numbers a race in Shenandoah deserves, it really is a beautiful area (IMO). Did not even realize that the race had been canceled til I received my refund check in the mail today.

• >